by Scott J.
artist credit: Susie Cagle
The Oakland Police Department operations emails for J28 Move-In Day, in which Occupy Oakland attempted to take over the Kaiser Convention Center only to result in a mass arrest of 400 marchers, are now available.
We now know the following about their operation:
- All of the emails were CCd to recipients at ICE and the US Coast Guard, both of which are sub-divisions of the Department of Homeland Security. These recipients are: ’firstname.lastname@example.org’; ’Jason.email@example.com’; ‘Kenneth. S. Kostecki@uscg.mil’; ‘ScottA.Garcia@uscg.mil’; ‘SectorSanf ranciscoCommandCenter@uscg.mil’; ‘Donald.P.Montoro@uscg.mil’ (see email recipient list on Page 1)
- OPD were reading the Move-In Day action plan on the web (page 2)
- OPD were aware of the plan to setup a Children’s Village and distributed an article about it by OO activist Tess Unger (page 4)
- Twitter was being monitored for regular updates, not only on the OO action plan but for on the ground info and to get a sense of what the marchers knew of the OPD plan (pages 6, 7). This also includes Twitter accounts of mainstream journalists such as Vivian Ho of the San Francisco Chronicle (page 10).
- Live streams were monitored for on the ground details (page 12).
- Evidence for future prosecution was collected from the live stream: “Multiple people on live steam commented that they can hear the dispersal order.” (page 13)
- There are comments about “Internet chatter” which is distinct from specific quotes of Twitter comments. This suggests that emails or other online communication may have been monitored (page 14).
- Other quotes from Twitter and live stream are quoted below:
“Live stream is telling people to get ready because the cops are putting on gas masks.” (page 15)
“Per Twitter: ‘Need all people at 11th and Madison #occupyoakland #oo#i28#moveinday’ (page 16)
“Chatter indicates that there are ‘B’ and ‘C’ locations but they are unknown to us now’” (page 16)
“Live streams that they are going to march agun at around 1700 hours” (page 17)
“Per Twitter: ‘@SabzBrach Joanne Michele #OO plan – meet at 14th and Broadway and occupy it, they’ll return to and occupy the plaza” (page 19)
- There is no mention of the kettling and teargassing at 19th and Telegraph. However, there are these remarks (pages 21-22):
1753 hours – Officers reporting subject threw brick at them
1756 hours – Guy in yellow mask cutting fence
1800 hours – Announcements are being made and people will be allowed to leave in small groups’
1804 hours – email system is temporarily down. IT is working on it.
1821 hours – Front of group is E/B Zgm St approaching Broadway to SIB Broadway’
1823 hours – SIB Broadaway at27fr Street
1826 hours – S/B Broadw ay at 25h Street
1830 hours – Most of group is trapped in the 2300 BLK of Broadway.
1831 hours – Crowd rushing into YMCA
1832 hours – About 75 inside YMCA some are running out back.
1838 hours – 25 to 30 detained inside YMCA
1839 hours – Web based Outlook (email) is back up’
- The above suggests that the action at 19th and Telegraph was not documented, possibly on purpose as it was most likely illegal and perhaps even a huge tactical error by OPD. The timeline is unclear, but presumably the kettling at 19th & Telegraph was around 6pm, dispersal orders were given but all hell broke loose once the teargas was unleashed. The crowd was forced to disperse itself by breaking through a fence, then the entire crowd was arrested at the YMCA. Why arrest was necessary at that point, and not earlier, is completely unclear.
- OPD reports on the City Hall takeover (pages 24-25):
1925 hours – Protesters are setting the American Flag on fire at City Hall.
1925 hours – Protesters are tweetingthatthey are having a meeting inside City Hall io decide about
what to do there.
1926 hours – New posts say they are thinking about setting it on fire. Only one post so far.
1932 hours – Twitter is showing posts that OPD is low on manpower’
1940 hours – Protesters are tweeting that they are on a deck with chairs and police below. Unclear as to
- God knows what this is all about: “2202 hours Tweets are saying there are ‘badboys’ are in the rooftop elevator. This is associated with the pics of ProPane tanks (page 27)
- OPD actually uses the offensive “lynching” terminology: “There are reports that they plan to lynch prisoners at 23rd and Broadway.” (page 28)
The full set of emails are below.